Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thing #23 Creative Commons

This did not sound too exciting a topic when I knew that it dealt with copyright; however, it turned out to be very interesting. I am sure that it is going to be very helpful for me on the questions of what is fair use and what is limited use, etc. I really did enjoy looking and reading the graphic novel by the students at the Duke Law School. They were very creative! And of course that is one reason for unlimiting copyright. With all of the social networking that is online, copyright had to change. Creative Commons License Deed gives the license terms that you can reuse or distribute others works. This is a great development especially for librarians and teachers to allow students to be more creative and express themselves in a different manner. This link gives more information about Creative Commons. The attribution that I chose was the Article, Illegal Art. It was where Colin Mutchler submiited My Life an acoustic guitar song, to Opsound that is music registry that requires Attribution-Share alike licensing, and then a lady who did not know Colin layered a violin on to it to make My Life Changed. As a results, it was an all right process.

1 comment:

WebFeet said...

I didn't think this was a very exciting 'thing' like you, but once I got into it, I did find it very informative. It certainly is a topic we should all be aware of and I am glad we were exposed to it. Good comments !!