Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thing #14 Read some perspectives on web 2.0

I read all of the articles and what I received mostly from them was that librarians are to change and encourage users to participate in the development and maintaining of services offered by the library. One key principle that hit me was that "rigidity breeds failure." I liked the 2.0 manifesto, but I do have a hard time with some of things in it, for example, being willing to make mistakes. I am sure that this is the wave of the future in libraries, but it is still hard to completely accept. One thing especially is the idea of the library collection. I still am pretty much into some print material. I do know that these exercises are helping me to see some of the information that is available and that I need to know about them, and to be able to help students in the use of them. One item that hit in the reading was that not only do we need to read information in our field, but we need to be aware of other professions and watch for the impact of technology on those fields. I do agree that libraries are changing and will face more changes in the future, but am I ready for a barrier free, everywhere library? I don't know!

1 comment:

mmw said...

thanks for your honesty! we are all there with you to one degree or another.